You can find answers to your water and sewer related questions in our FAQ section.

Text Size

May 19, 2022 Minutes

The Telford Borough Authority Meeting held this date was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Chairman John Harrell. The following members were in attendance: Dan Cole, Eric Kratz, David Musselman and Robert Nice. Also present were Manager Mark Fournier, Public Works Director Gary Yoder, Solicitor Jim Jacquette, Engineer Patrick DiGangi, Recording Secretary Megan McShane and residents Bill Ashley and Dale Nice.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Minutes of the April 21, 2022 Authority meeting were approved unanimously (5-0) by a Musselman/Nice motion.

DISCUSSION ITEMS:

1.      TBA Board Member Portal Presentation

Chairman John Harrell gave a brief overview of the new TBA Board Member Portal and thanked Megan McShane for all of her hard work on this project.

Ms. McShane then gave a presentation on the portal, reviewing the two main components: the Current Meeting area, where all of the information for the current month’s meeting will be uploaded, and the Archive Search area, where minutes, reports and other items from past meetings can be found. She demonstrated how the Board can review items in the Archive Search area, adding that she will be working with the developers to get the Search: box functional for the next release of the portal, as well as enhancing some other features.

Instructions were then distributed to show the Board how they can log into the portal. Ms. McShane encouraged the Board to log into the portal at their convenience and e-mail any questions or feedback to her. She then explained that those who receive paper packets will continue to receive them, and that the Authority is also still required to maintain the meeting minutes in the minute books.

Board Member Robert Nice asked for clarification on how Board members will receive notification about the monthly packet; Ms. McShane explained that those who’ve been receiving the packet electronically will simply receive an e-mail letting them know once everything has been uploaded, the Friday before the meeting.

Mr. Harrell thanked Ms. McShane for her presentation and informed the Board that, to further continue paper reduction efforts, moving forward, if there are any materials that come into the office between the time the Board receives their packets and the day of the meeting, he would like staff to bring one copy to the meeting; the Board members can review the material at the table and if they would like a copy, it can be e-mailed to them. The Board agreed with this direction.

2.     Manager Mark Fournier informed the Board that CKS completed a water and sanitary sewer review letter for a submission from Verus Partners for a proposed 185,376 sq. ft. industrial warehouse building in West Rockhill Township. The project location is a 17.71-acre parcel that contains the former Drum Construction facility, which is proposed to be removed. The existing facility currently has private water and on-lot sewer service. There is an existing TBA sanitary sewer easement and 10-inch sanitary main which the project proposes to connect to. Sanitary sewer from the site will ultimately flow to the PWTA plant through the TBA West Rockhill interceptor. The project also proposes an 8” water main extension along Meetinghouse Road from the existing water main located in the intersection of Meetinghouse Road and State Road. Water service into the site is proposed through a 6” water service, and it is proposed to supply a 150,000-gallon on-site water storage tank, which is shown supplying both domestic and fire protection water to the new facility.

A Nice/Kratz motion carried unanimously (5-0) approving the Preliminary/Final Land Development Plans dated January 7, 2022, and last revised April 4, 2022, subject to the comments being addressed in the CKS review letter dated May 10, 2022, and authorizing the staff and Solicitor to proceed with preparing the Agreements for the project.

3.    Mr. Fournier gave a brief overview of the Land Development Plan for a proposed Rocco's Italian Sausage Food Shack at Hilltown Plaza/Home Depot that was reviewed by CKS.  The project proposes construction of a 420 sq. ft. take-out food service building at the existing Home Depot building, which is currently served by TBA water and sewer; the new building is also proposed to be served by TBA water and sewer.  The proposed building will also connect to public sewer via a proposed gravity sanitary sewer lateral that will connect to an existing gravity main on the property.  Water service connection will be through an internal plumbing connection with the existing building.

A Musselman/Kratz motion carried unanimously (5-0) approving the Land Development Plans dated May 3, 2022, subject to the comments being addressed from the CKS review letter dated May 16, 2022, and authorizing the staff and Solicitor to proceed with preparing the Agreements for the project.

4.     A request was received from Hilltown Township Water & Sewer Authority to purchase 50 EDUs from the PWTA plant. After some discussion, a Nice/Cole motion carried unanimously (5-0) approving the sale of up to 50 EDUs to HTWSA at a price of $5,000 per EDU.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Accepted as presented.

WATER DEPARTMENT REPORT: We received a written report for the file.

Public Works Director Gary Yoder reported that SWERP has started the sewer lining on West Broad Street. Mr. Harrell asked for clarification on the valve repair that is scheduled for Sunday, May 22nd, and Mr. Yoder explained that there is a leak at the intersection of Quarry Road and State Road. The work is being done on a Sunday to have as little impact as possible on the businesses and homes in that area. Some people may experience a drop in water pressure, at worst.

COLLECTION REPORT: We received a written report for the file.

WASTEWATER TREATMENT REPORT: We received a written report for the file.

PTWA REPORT: We received a written report for the file.

SOLICITOR’S REPORT: Solicitor Jim Jacquette provided a verbal report.

Solicitor Jim Jacquette reported that discussions continue on the structuring of service charges and staff is waiting to hear back from the software programmers. Mr. Harrell added that he, Mr. Fournier and Ms. Windfelder have another conference call next Tuesday with the programmers.

Mr. Jacquette then provided an update on the TMDL matter.

ENGINEER’S REPORT: We received a written report for the file.

Engineer Patrick DiGangi informed the Board that a draft of this year’s Consumer Confidence Report was sent to Mr. Fournier earlier this week for review.

Mr. Harrell asked for an update on the WWTF roof project. Mr. DiGangi reported that the contract documents have been processed, but no start date has been established yet; it is dependent upon the arrival of the materials.

MANAGER’S REPORT: We received a written report for the file.

OTHER BUSINESS:

Payment of bills and requisitions for the month of April in the amount of $470,662.85 was approved unanimously (5-0) by a Musselman/Kratz motion.

Mr. Harrell asked Ms. McShane to bring the Pending Items up onto the screens for review.

Board Member Dan Cole asked if there has been any development on TBA’s cyber security. Mr. Fournier stated that there was nothing further done at this point, aside from the cyber insurance that is already in place, and the firewalls that have been built into our server.

Mr. Cole asked if TBA’s IT people do a cyber security audit, to make sure there are no gaps in our plan, and Mr. Fournier said that we’ve never considered an audit, and gave an overview of how TBA’s back-up is managed.

Mr. Harrell asked about Mr. Fournier’s comfort level with the security systems we have in place, and Mr. Fournier stated that our comfort level is high; TBA purchased the level of security that was recommended, adding that we are also paying for enhanced security with the software that is at the Public Works garage.

It was the consensus of the Board that this item can be removed from the Pending Items list.

Mr. Cole then asked about the status of the cost information for generators at the wells. Mr. Yoder reported that he has received specs from an electrical engineer but has to follow up on them, adding that he would look into it more. Mr. Harrell asked Mr. Yoder to send him the spec information. Mr. Cole suggested that we add the option of researching used equipment to this item on the Pending Items list.

PENDING ITEMS:                                       

  • Mr. Fournier to provide a list to the Board of commercial/industrial customers who are using water & sewer capacity above one EDU.
  • Staff to look into the option for customers to initiate their own ACH payments without the customer or TBA incurring any fees.
  • The Board will continue its discussion about implementing rate structures.
  • A letter should be sent to all customers on the excess usage list with an explanation as to why TBA is reviewing accounts and announcing a new rate program being considered by TBA. The Solicitor, Engineer, Manager and Chairman will continue to work on this letter.
  • Continue discussions on the potential adjustment of service charges for customers with excess usage.
  • Mr. DiGangi to prepare a proposal with recommendations as to how to improve treatment and flow at the WWTF.
  • Pursue cost information (lease vs. purchase) for generators at TBA’s wells; also research used equipment.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:16 pm by a Kratz/Nice motion.

Respectfully submitted,

David Musselman

Secretary

bottom

50 Penn Avenue | Telford, PA 18969 | Phone: 215-723-5000 | Fax: 215-723-5328
©2014 Borough of Telford, Pennsylvania. All rights reserved. Powered by Sitecats, Inc.

TBA Board Members Only